Monday, August 24, 2009

What Hawaii Statehood Really Means

August 21, 2009 Hawaii’s government, its political and business elite celebrated the 5oth Anniversary of the so-called 1959 Admissions Act or what now is commonly referred to as “Statehood.”

Thousands of Hawaiians and their supporters from Hawaii’s ethnic communities throughout the islands and abroad marked the day with marches, protesting and rallies against this insulting and perverted notions that the majority of na kanaka maoli (indigenous Hawaiians)wanted to be part of the United States in 1959. The facts remain and cannot be successfully disputed otherwise. The majority of those that voted in the 1959 plebiscite for Statehood were non-Hawaiians such as Military Personnel, their dependents and immigrant residents.

About 11% of eligible Hawaiians voted to the roughly 96% non-eligible casting ballots in 1959. Unlike humans that covet our islands, the math does not lie.

The majority of eligible Hawaiians did not vote for fear of losing their jobs and related benefits. My mother, Emma Kaiu Kimokeo stated prior to her death (2005) she never wanted in 1959 to be part of the United States. Like many other Hawaiians she was told by her employer (Baldwin Packers) at the Pineapple Cannery on Front Street, Lahaina Town if she voted against Statehood, Hawaiians like herself would not be getting the earnings and medical benefits they were then receiving.

Emma Kaiu Kimokeo did not vote in the 1959 Plebiscite.

As my mother neared the end of her life shortly after this conversation she did something unexpected. She called me one morning angry and defiant. She blurted out, “Foster. I can’t give up my US citizenship! How am I going to live without social security and medical?”

You see, a few days earlier my mother and I were talking about my research into our family genealogy and how It related to the cultural, political and religious history she knew only through our family mo`olelo (oral history). I explained how my experiences over the last seven years gave me clarity as to who I am.

I told her that morning she called she didn’t have to give up anything. She was Hawaiian no matter what anyone else said or did to her.

As I reflect on the passion, bravery and resolve of those that marched, protested and rallied against FAKEHOOD, there is one poster from Orlando, Florida (of all places) I saw that describes what my mother felt that morning and I guess most Hawaiians feel everyday

We are Hawaiian by Blood...American by FORCE!

1 comment:

  1. It does seem that Hawaiian have been kidnapped! It can be sugar coated, so that even the kidnapper believes the lie. Hawaiians know that they is something wrong and when they look into it they find their nation.

    I believe this is why the Akaka bill reclaims the same things the Newlands resolution and the Organic act claim. Americans can find no law that backs up "Fakehood" and the sooner everyone understands where they are the sooner real return to justice can come about.

    Simply Hawaiian.
    Simply Aina
    Simple justice

    Aloha Kai

    ReplyDelete